If you have had any problems with water in your office , perhaps due to a plumbing issue or leaking roof, you could have mold growing in your building right now. Mold is not only unsightly, it can cause potential health issues for you, your employees, and your customers. The more widespread the mold is, the less advisable it is for you to do your own cleanup.
How Mold Grows
Mold spores are always around you, in the air, inside and out. They usually don’t cause much trouble unless they begin to grow. To do that, they need access to water and food. Mold spores feed on organic matter such as those found in many common building materials. If you have leaking or spillage in your office, mold growth may not be far behind as it can start growing within 24 hours of exposure to water.
Why Mold Cleanup Is Best Left to the Professionals
While some property owners may be tempted to tackle a mold infestation themselves, it is better to let the experts handle it, for the following reasons.
Mold Cleanup Involves More Than Just Killing Mold
There are four basic steps involved in mold cleanup Houston:
- Water removal
- Ventilation and containment
- Disinfecting and cleaning
You may not have the knowledge of what it takes to effectively clean up mold, nor access to the necessary materials. For example, you may turn to bleach for your mold cleanup, but bleach is not effective at killing mold.
Some Types of Mold Can Be Dangerous
Some mold species, though not all, can release mycotoxins in the air that are harmful to humans. Furthermore, some people have mold allergies, meaning that they can have reactions to mold spores that are otherwise harmless to other people. These reactions can range from mild to severe.
You May Expose Yourself to Harm
If you have mold that produces mycotoxins in your office building, your attempts to remove it may release hazardous materials into the air. Coming in contact with these toxins could cause you to become ill. You don’t have to breathe them in to suffer adverse effects; they can cause illness by simply coming in contact with your skin. Better to leave it to the professionals who know what they’re doing and can instruct you on how to protect yourself.
When hiring a professional mold cleanup company, it never hurts to shop around first. Choose one that is reputable and licensed, and don’t be afraid to ask for references.