Becoming a massage therapist has been tough for many students though it does come up with a promising career. This normally requires you to attend a 500-hour training program and pass the massage licensing examination in your state. Dallas has lot much to offer to boost your massage therapy educational and training experience. Accordingly, enrolling in a certified massage school Dallas Texas is perhaps the best way to become a good massage therapist.
The rising popularity and benefits of body massage therapy has encouraged many massage schools to come up with their best educational and professional services. While there may be different requirements to obtain a massage therapy license, it is more important to choose the right massage school Dallas Texas to get the right education in the field. This is because a good school can provide you with exclusive teaching approach and the state-of-the-art tools so you not only get massage therapy licensed but also be able to acquire all the goals you have for your success in life.
Prior Selecting a Massage School Dallas Texas
Nothing can be better to decide on a massage school Dallas Texas than start learning about the profession in general and different massage therapy methods. It is wise to have an in-depth overview of the massage therapist duties which can be done by approaching the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the U.S Department of Labor. They can provide you with detailed information about the nature of professional job, training and licensing requirements, employment, projection data, OES data, job outlook, related occupation and possible sources to attain additional information.
Then it comes to become familiar with the various methods of massage therapy. According to the NCCAM, there are more than 80 different massage therapy modalities which are internationally recognized. Sports massage, shiatsu bodywork, Swedish massage, reflexology, and deep tissue massage are some of the most commonly used modalities. It is strongly recommended to go through a list of different types of massage and bodywork on the official website of Associated Bodywork and Massage Professional. This will help you understand available therapies and decide on your course accordingly.
Lastly, before choosing a massage therapy school in Dallas, consider your intentions as to your career and set your goals. Do you want to manage a private practice or work with a healthcare environment? Is working with specialized populations like elderly care your preference? Ask a few questions like abovementioned and set your goals as this will help you evaluate the cost and value that a school may offer.
Necessary Factors to Consider
Once you have decided to make a career in massage therapy, the next step is to look for the right massage school Dallas Texas. In fact, there are a number of factors that should be taken into consideration when deciding on a massage school Dallas Texas. Some of these factors are critical in order to be eligible for a practice license while other are less important but can be helpful to get a good start.
- Accreditation – Texas has its own licensing regulations however you must consider the same of more than one state. Likewise, it is important that the massage school Dallas Texas operates legitimately in the state. It is also possible for a state to offer many approved programs through its massage schools including those located in-state and out-of-state. Having a nationally accredited program from a massage school Dallas Texas may ease the overall process of obtaining a license. You can look for a school with an accreditation of COMTA (The commission of Message Therapy Accreditation) as it is the major national accrediting organization for massage therapy schools.
- Approval – Apart from being accredited from a relevant agency, the massage school you choose should have essential approvals. Technically, becoming a massage therapist needs you to graduate from a massage school Dallas Texas that is approved and has a code assigned by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Body Work. Although NCBTMB is not an accrediting agency when considered in technical terms, its approval still does matter a lot for massage therapy schools. Choosing a massage school Dallas Texas with NCBTMB board certification will show that you have met the requirements of becoming a massage therapist beyond those needed to get initial license. If you do not graduate from a school without NCBTMB code, it does not necessarily mean that you cannot acquire certification. It is, however, critical to have a careful portfolio review of the massage school Dallas Texas you want to choose.
- Program Length – When it comes to the program length i.e. the number of hours or months of program, every state has their particular requirements for licensure. In order to become a licensed massage therapist in Dallas Texas, you need to take a 500-hours minimum training program with 12-hours of continuing education program every 24 months between your renewals. Accordingly, decide on the massage school Dallas Texas that offers programs with required training hours to become a massage therapist.
- The Curriculum – Generally, a massage therapy program from an approved and accredited massage school Dallas Texas includes assignments in correlated sciences, such as physiology, anatomy, and other therapies. It will also have some introductory material to teach you professional ethics as well as mandatory business practices. Massage therapy programs in schools with NCBTMB assigned codes, on the other hand, have minimum industry standards in the most important areas of the subject.
- Technical Considerations – The massage school Dallas Texas you choose might have a curriculum like another school but it does not necessarily mean that both will have the same characteristics. When evaluating different massage therapy schools in Dallas, you may also consider programs’ reputation, instructors’ qualifications, and the passing rates on national exams. Since many massage schools are newly opened, some of these may not be in operation. Therefore, it is imperative to know the massage school Dallas Texas about how long their programs have been in operation.