Learning how to drive is one of the most exciting milestones in life. However, before you are deemed ready to hit the road, you do have to go through the process of obtaining your learner’s permit. This means you have to meet a legal criteria and also clear a written driving test. You have to learn the basic functions of a motor vehicle and the rules of the road before you are considered ready to handle a car on your own. As long as you don’t make any mistakes, keep the necessary materials in order and pass the test, you will be able to sit behind the wheel soon.
Here are the steps you need to take for getting your driving permit:
- Look up the requirements in your area. While the process of getting a permit is similar in most countries, there might be slight deviations so you have to familiarize yourself with the requirements. This information is typically available online.
- Search for DMV near me keyword on Google and find the DMV headquarters in your jurisdiction. You have to apply for your permit at the Department of Motor Vehicles office where you pay the fee and take the test. There are several DMV locations in most states to make it convenient for people to get their permit. The official website of the DMV can provide you with the nearest location.
- Now, you apply for the permit by filling out the form with basic information like date of birth, full legal name, hair color, eye color, home address etc. You also have to offer some proof of identity in the form of a social security card, birth certificate, passport or any other recognized form of photo ID.
- When you apply for the learner’s permit, you will have to take an eyesight exam. This lets the officials know that your eyesight is good enough to operate a vehicle. If you wear lenses or glasses, a note is made on the permit that you need to wear them while driving.
- Pay the associated fee charged. The charges for testing and certification are separate from that of the application submission, eyesight exam and the written test. You will be provided with a date and time for the exam and study materials as well.
- Study the handbook provided and familiarize yourself with the different functions and parts of the vehicle. You can also take a driver’s ed course if necessary. Once you think you are ready, you can take the test. Testing is usually done on the computer these days, which is mostly easy for people, especially teens.
- If you fail the test, you will have to retake it. This can be done as many times as possible.
- When you finally pass the test, you can now expect your driver’s permit to arrive. The staff at the DMV takes your picture and sends it with the information to issue your permit. You can start learning how to drive when you have the permit in your hands.