Freelance graphic designers create digital as well as printed content for companies to help them project their message across to their audience. Some of the most common things that graphic designers work on include brochures, business cards, postcards, catalogs, social media advertisements and much more. People do freelance graphic designing in many different ways. Some of them specialize in a particular area, while others diversify their portfolio in different design segments.
The freelance graphic design revolves around digital software being used to create unique and attractive content and designs for companies in various sectors. An important part of the freelance graphic design is to prepare the layout of a printed document. Some of the useful examples of layout designs include book covers, magazines, newspapers, and advertisements. The freelance graphic design also includes package design formation. From cereal boxes to milk cartons, graphic designers help companies design and package their products so that they can stand out on a crowded shelf at a shopping mall.
When companies want to design any type of visual or textual content for their product or service, they have the option to hire an agency or a freelance graphic designer. Both the entities have their pros and cons. The product or service owner can weigh the pros and cons of each entity and can then decide if they want to go for a corporate service or opt for freelance graphic design.
Pros and Cons of hiring a freelance graphic designer
- Freelance graphic designers usually work out of home office. They usually do not have to pay hefty rents for an office space or office supplies. Therefore, they cost less than a graphic design agency.
- Freelance workers do not have a fixed time schedule. Although this may seem like a drawback initially, for some organization, this flexible time schedule can add great value to their work. Freelancers can work 24/7 to get the job done at a short notice.
- Since freelance graphic designing is more about passion, people in this field sometimes may lack the required technical skills and education.
- Freelance graphic designers with multi-disciplinary expertise may provide the company with a well-rounded experience. However, agencies use different professionals for different areas of graphic designing. This makes them more versatile than freelance graphic designers.
Before employing a freelance graphic design resource, clients should do their own research about how well the service provider has performed with their existing client. An effective way to gauge past performance of their clients is to read their customer feedback online.
Pros and Cons of working with a design agency
- Since design firms have more people to work on a single project, they can offer to solve complex and large-scale problems for their clients.
- Designing agencies usually have more resources at their disposal than a freelance designer. However, there are different checks and balances, which lower down the creativity that can be delivered by a freelance graphic designer.
- Graphic design agencies do not offer much flexibility when it comes to their hours of operation. This is especially useful when clients are looking for a quick solution within a very short time frame.
Even when organizations hire corporate agencies to do their design work, they still hire certain freelance graphic designers on contract to provide extra help in case the project is too large to be handled by one graphic design agency.
How to find a freelance graphic designer
Here are some useful tips on how freelance graphic designing resource can be hired for any particular project:
Set your expectations right
It is important to understand that a freelance graphic designing individual is not a one-stop shop for all your branding needs. Freelance graphic designing includes preparation of the front cover or front page of a website. It does not include the coding that goes behind a web page or the blueprint that is used to design a website. A freelance graphic designing individual will work hard to create the graphic content based on the instructions given to them by the management.
Provide Clear indication
It is very important to remember that a freelance graphic designing resource will be as good for your business as the information that you provide them. To get the best possible outcome from a freelance web designing project, clients need to give clear instruction as to what they are looking for in their design. Besides that, a freelance graphic designer would want to know about important elements in the business including fonts and color pallets.
How to find the perfect freelance graphic designer
During the early days of the digital revolution, it was very hard to look for freelance graphic designing services. Service providers had no platform to look for freelance graphic designers, and graphic designers did not have many options to promote their work on the internet. However, finding freelance graphic designing services online is not that difficult anymore. There are many websites, where listed service providers can be approached by submitting a project query, and freelance web designers can respond by quoting their project price.
Another great option to find freelance graphic design professionals is to search the local area of the business. This can be easily done by searching nearby areas on the google map. One great advantage of finding a local freelance graphic design service is that coordination is quite easy between the service provider and the client.
Evaluating the designer’s portfolio
Before signing up with a freelance graphic designing service, it is important that clients go through their provider’s portfolio. If a company is looking for a freelance graphic designer for designing a new logo, they need to look for a designer that specializes in the field. Acquiring the services of a designer that has expertise in the relevant field helps a lot since it brings a lot of experience along with required skillset on to the drawing board.
To make the best use of a freelance graphic designing resource, companies need to have a clear vision about how they want to relay their message across to the target audience. Graphic designers work best when they have clear instructions from the clients and have a well-defined schedule for completing the task ahead.